Classic Moments

4 April 2013

Glamour Magazine


"I got 200 Marriage proposals in two days"

With his good looks and Irish charm, it' snot hard to see why. Celia Walden meets The Script frontman and The Voice coach Danny O'Donoghue.


None of the yummy mummies brunching with their babies at High Road House looked at Danny O'Donoghue and thought, "Danny O'Dono-who?" No, the thought bubbles above their heads were more of the  'come to mama' variety. Because the 32-year-old Dubliner isn't just the lead singer of The Script and a judge on The voice, he's also 6ft 3in of prime tattooed male flesh. 

CW Thank God you're not a smurf. Everytime I interview a rock star, they're 2ft tall. I sat on Jon Bon Jovi's knee during a lunch date once. I thought the poor man was going to be hospitalised...

DO'D Yes, I'm many things, but not a smurf.

CW Look at these women hosing you down with their eyes. Has The Voice made a big difference when you are out and about?

DO'D It's unbelievable, I used to get the odd person coming up to me in the street now it's babies who can't even talk pointing to me.

CW You and Tom Jones seem to be pretty tight...

DO'D He and Paul McCartney are cut from the same cloth. They are huge stars, but real human beings. Paul goes out of his way to make people feel at ease, which you don't find everyday. Fame is a magnifying glass, so if you were an arsehole before, you'll be an even bigger arsehole after. All the media mangement in the whole world can't hide a horrible person.

CW It helps if you don't make it big too young...

DO'D Yeah, If The Script had made it when I was 18, I might be a different person. But by the time we did. I'd been through the fuckin wringer. I slept on a friends coach for years, So I'm just grateful to be working now.

CW Do you think of yourself as a brand?

DO'D Things have forced us into thinking of ourselves that way. But we're not all about the red carpet. A lot of people think we are not cool because we talk about things that matter, but we wear our hearts on out sleeves. What guy wants to say that they are in love and that they have had their fucking hearts broken? Blokes always want to project that they are invincible, but I'm happy to stand up there and say that I'm broken.

CW Do you feel broken?

DO'D [Shrugs] As much as everyone. You get a mix of things going on in your life. And when you're an Irish boy, Catholicism is a big thing. You're brought up to believe that you're always doing something wrong.

CW Do you go to confession?

DO'D No, Some people go into the little black box: Songwriting is my confession .

CW Do you have impure thoughts?

DO'D [Chuckling] Doesn't every man? On that note, I'll order a sausage sandwich. And a mineral water with a twist of lime.

CW Twist of Lime? Not very rock and roll?

DO'D Of course we do some rock star stuff we just don't tell people before we do it. we have calmed down over the years. There were some member of the band who drunk so much they looked like they had jaundice. I'd joke: "Te bad news is you're fucking yellow. The good new is that we got you a part in The Simpsons."

CW Reading tweets you get girls propose, they don't want a one-night stand with you.

DO'D I know! What does that say about me? Why do these girls want me to meet their parents?

CW Have you a rule about not getting involved with fans?

DO'D no - why? who's not letting me? I mean, I've been involved with people who like the music, but people who wait outside your door... that's a little bit weird, isn't it?

CW Have you ever had a stalker?

DO'D I once had two mums and their daughters come to a meet and greet. The daughters didn't seem that interested, but at 2am the next morning, the mothers were outside our hotel rooms trying to get in.

CW Jeez, that's not good. Still, there's something about being up on that stage that's a real aphrodisiac to women.

DO'D [Nodding] You could look a foot and it would still happen.

CW So if you could spend one night of sin with a woman who would it be?

DO'D I'm not saying.

CW Oh, go on.

DO'D No, because whoever I mention, I'll bump into the second I walk out of this place and it's really embarrassing.

CW Give us an idea of your type? Does the Duchess of  Cambridge do it for you?

DO'D Not really, I like a woman with a bit more meat on her and I love women with tattoos, I'm a tattoo whore.



CW You're on the lookout?

DO'D Of course. But I just got out of a long-distance relationship and although I'm not with that person now, and that comes with it's own heartache, I have the freedom to travel  and have my heart with me. It's hard to keep a woman's mind at ease when you are away and she thinks that you are always out partying. I tend not to go for insecure women. That means they don't get what I need to live. I'm at the age where I get that you don't need to be together all the time to make something work.

CW You keep your private life private.. 

DO'D Well, if you sell your fucking wedding photos to OK! magazine, then I'm sorry, but you are opening yourself up to anything.

CW So we won't be seeing you and the new Mrs O'Donoghue standing alongside the cast of Corrie on the cover anytime soon?

DO'D That's a tough one, because I'd like to go into space. So if someone paid me 500 grand for a space wedding, or a wedding on the moon, I think I'd have to do it.

CW I hear it's pretty roomy up there, so you could make it a big wedding.

DO'D Exactly. Plus I heard this story about David Beckham - that he'd tell is friends when he was about to get a new haircut, that way they could get the 90 grand for the first picture instead of some paparazzo. I'd love that. That's totally Irish.

CW On that subject - how vain are you?

DO'D It only takes me five minutes to get ready. But I did have my chest waxed for charity last week. It's painful. I think you women are idiots all that waxing you do. The vajazzle? Is it practice for when you have babies? Going through that pain?

CW Trust me: bikini waxes DO NOT prepare you for childbirth.

DO'D Well it's your own fault for getting involved in all that in the first place.

CW So you'd be happy to go out with a woolly mammoth?

DO'D No. I don't want to go out with a girl who lifts her arms and looks like she's got some guy in a headlock.

CW But you like your women natural?

DO'D Yeah. I like it when a woman lets her own natural beauty speak.

CW What's the sexiest outfit a woman can wear?

DO'D Definitely a short skirt and boots [Laughing] Now i'm picturing a wookiee from Star Wars in a short skirt and boots.

CW Do you love being involved with The Voice?

DO'D I love it. Other shows give bad news in a bad manner, but The Voice does it in a good manner. I was tired of that format - I think other people were, too. And even though peoples perception of me at the start may have been, 'Who the fuck is that?', by the end, it was a level playing field - and this series is going to be very different.

CW When you see people on The Voice who are just starting out, but already have a real attitude, what do you do?

DO'D I put them straight. I tell them you need to say hello and goodbye to everyone, from the first lighting assistant who arrives to the last person who leaves, because you know what? In ten to 15 years; That person maybe running the show.

Source: Glamour Magazine / Edited: DannyODonoghue.Net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Please do not cite or copy our content to use on your own site without credits to, and permission of www.dannyodonoghue.net. We are working hard to get what we have..

The Script

The Script