Classic Moments

1 April 2013

EXCLUSIVE The Script Roundtable Interview - Manila

Glen of The Script on what people can expect from the concert tonight: “A rollercoaster of emotion”


A few hours before their concert tonight at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum, Manila Concert Scene chatted with Danny O’Donoghue and Glen Power, two members of the multi-awarded Irish band The Script. There is simply no denying the popularity of the band, they've sold four million albums, nine million singles, and have clocked up an impressive 100 million YouTube views to date. 

They’re also in the country to promote their latest album, #3, a compilation which they all agree is their best to date with songs like their first single Hall Of Fame featuring Will I Am which talks about perfectly encapsulating life-affirming sentiments to the beautifully fragile If You Could See Me Now which talks about the death of Mark’s parents and Danny’s father.


It would be admirable to note that since this writer’s last encounter with the band two years ago that they haven’t changed one bit. They are still the jovial, warm, and articulate guys she met two years ago. Read on as Glen talks about having fans in Manila, working with Will I Am, and what people can expect from the concert tonight. Also, further on our interview with Danny as he talks about being a judge on The Voice, coming back to Manila for a third time and performing for an Asian audience.

How does it feel to have fans as far away as in Manila? 

It’s hard to believe that this far away from home where we come from, many miles away that we have so many people that want to come out and see us play here again. And when we played here for the first time in Araneta Coliseum we were shocked, and it’s a coincidence that now we have a song called The Hall Of Fame and Muhammad Ali fought there you know. To actually come back and get to do that again is really amazing and we are really lucky, you know, the gig we did the last time was fantastic. Now we have more songs to play and I think tonight is gonna be even better, I remember it was a great show, you guys love music over here and you really know how to enjoy yourselves, it’s amazing.


What was it like working with Will I Am? 

Will I Am is such a driven character and such a gentleman and when we worked on the song Hall Of Fame he arrived early and in the production, the things he added, he was just an amazing person he was a bit of a genius. He is also a funny guy, such a thrill to work with 

How do you keep it real?

Desperation, we were desperate for so many years and we struggled for so many years and when it finally arrives you chance upon it you are blessed. You always have to remember that you are very lucky and you are among the small percent that gets to do this job and we just feel very blessed. I think the fact that we got it later in life that we didn't get it when we were 13 or 15 it makes you kind of appreciate it and you learn how to be nice to people and not turn into where’s my M and M’s haha! You hear stories of that and when you grow up he said to me never leave a bad taste with anybody because the job you do it puts you in front of people and I believe fame is in a magnifying glass, if you are a little asshole you are going to be a massive asshole when you get famous.


How does your latest album #3 show the evolution of your band?

We stretched the music in a sense and there are songs that are anthemic, if you listen to the early stuff we go a little bit more and we used some samples in this album, you will hear it tonight in the show. I used some triggers in the bass and snares in some samples for the songs because we really wanted to aim for top 40 radio and it worked for Hall Of Fame. Musically, we stretched it you know. 

What can we expect from your concert tonight?

Three naked men running around the stage, yeah, no, I think a real rollercoaster ride of emotion. The fact that we have three albums now lets us bring the audience in the end in kind of like a home run. Now that we have three albums in the end whereas before we have only four albums and we have moments in the set like there is a moment where we let the audience breathe and there is a moment where we let the audience take our breath away.


Interview with Danny: 

Would you like to come back to the Philippines some time and see the sights?

I cant wait to go and just take in the sights and sounds because I am a photographer as well and I love taking in the sights and sounds, hotels are one thing, but I like to get out on the street. When you are on a world tour you are not really on a holiday, I would like to come back spend some time for two weeks and just kind of hangout and just be cool, I would burn. I went out two nights ago and they were like are you a vampire?

How was it like being a judge on The Voice?

Really good, there is so much going on and I believe Apl of The Black Eyed Peas will be on it, I find it challenging because there are 12 people on my team and they are all looking at me. I don’t have any kids, I kind of run away from that commitment, but I think it’s different from what I normally do everyday but it’s music and it’s emotion and it’s how to connect with people from behind the screen, how to find a lyric and a melody and how it transcends you from behind the screen, how it grabs you that’s interesting, because as I do that with other people’s songs I learn how to do it with my songs you know. When you coach with someone I need to learn that same thing too. I am still in the industry and there are better singers on my team, people older than me in the industry, and theyre asking me so I learned a lot about it about myself you know.


How is it like performing for an Asian audience as opposed to performing in other nations?

The Asians are more subdued before a concert than “waaah!” I think we have been very blessed to have great audiences we have never been out in the crowd where they’ve had no energy. I am not going to lie you guys are more in tune than European audiences you guys sing karaoke on the weekends.

Source: MCS / Edited: DannyODonoghue.Net

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Please do not cite or copy our content to use on your own site without credits to, and permission of www.dannyodonoghue.net. We are working hard to get what we have..

The Script

The Script