Classic Moments

24 October 2012

6 reasons why The Script's Danny O'Donoghue loves touring


The Script's Danny O'Donoghue performs before the Melbourne Storm-Canterbury Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium Sept. 30, 2012 in Sydney, Australia (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images / October 24, 2012) 

Danny O’Donoghue would spend the rest of his life touring if he could. 

For one, it would mean his Irish rock trio, The Script, is still drawing an audience even as the band gets older. Second, he enjoys the life of a touring artist, unlike other acts that do it only out of necessity. 

The “Breakeven” and “For the First Time” band is currently promoting “#3,” the band’s third album, and will perform Saturday at the Aragon Ballroom. Here, the 32-year-old O’Donoghue explains why he loves life on the road (and believe it or not, it has nothing to do with partying): 

Performing: That’s No. 1. I have people I’ve never met singing songs back to me that I wrote in diary form late at night. Strangers have our name tattooed on their arms and are singing with tears in their eyes. It’s an amazing feeling. Everything pales in comparison to walking out on stage. That’s why we do it. I know other bands wouldn’t tour if they didn’t have to. It’s not for everybody. But I have less attachments. 

Fresh start: It’s a crazy thing to do. To get up every morning somewhere new and guess where everything thing is. Where’s the tea? Where’s the shower? Where are we getting breakfast? I’m able to say “Where’s the toilet?” in 40 different languages. I like the idea of getting a fresh start. 

Reflection: I get a lot of thinking done. I think so many times you don’t get to do that. There’s so much going on — sitting at a desk, checking email, going to someone’s birthday. On the road, there are times when it’s only you and your brain. There are very little distractions. That’s where the songs come from. Those moments of isolation. 

New city, new food: As a young fellow, I stuck to my favorite main meals, like chicken. (Touring) is a great way to sample the local cuisine and stuff you wouldn’t necessarily have to eat back home, like vegetables. You get a great palate. I didn’t really get the point of Indian food. Why would I want to burn my mouth? I want to savor the flavor. But I ended up falling in love with it. 

Sight seeing: I’m a photographer everywhere I go. And I can’t just take one shot. Every venue we go to, I shoot footage. I have a photographic diary of all the places I’ve been to. When we get to a new city, I head out and ask, “What’s the best thing about (Washington) D.C.?” and I’ll go to the White House and Lincoln Memorial and photograph everything. We go to places on tour that I was never able to afford. The first time I was on a plane was when I was 15. 

Camaraderie: There are 14 or 15 of us doing this, so you’re not the only one going through this every day. It’s an amazing bond, and we’ll all have the memories. In 30-40 years, I can say we did some amazing things together, and they can verify the whole story. 

Source: .Chicago Tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Please do not cite or copy our content to use on your own site without credits to, and permission of www.dannyodonoghue.net. We are working hard to get what we have..

The Script

The Script