Classic Moments

7 April 2013

Q&A with singer Danny O’Donoghue, who comes clean on drinking with Sir Tom and coaching on The Voice


The Script singer Danny O'Donoghue

The Script singer, 32, on drinking with Sir Tom, coaching on The Voice and stargazing in Paris

You’re back on our screens on The Voice. Did you take any persuading to sign up? 
Not at all. I agreed to do it on the last day of the last series. I said to Will.i.am, ‘Are you coming back? If you do it, I’ll do it.’ And he was, like, ‘Hell, yeah.’ We’ve had such a laugh.

Has your life changed since? 
Yeah! People were coming up to me in the street. A few of the critics called me Danny O’Dono-who? because I wasn’t well known when I first signed up. It just meant that I had to work that bit harder to prove myself. We got our first number one single after that so it was an incredible year.

What makes you a good person to coach wannabe singers? 
I’m not necessarily the best singer in the world, but I’m a guitarist and I’m in a band and I represent all the people who come on The Voice and play an instrument and want to rock out. All four of us judges – Jessie J, Tom Jones, Will.i.am and me – represent totally different areas of music. Jessie’s the vocal gymnast, Will’s the amazing producer and Tom’s just a legend.

The Voice Coaches Sir Tom Jones, Jessie J, will.i.am and Danny O Donoghue

What’s different this year? 
We’ve seen more people turn up with guitars or playing the piano, and I love that. Bands don’t get to showcase themselves on TV very often these days. It’s not fashionable: bookers are more likely to spend a fortune on Beyoncé or Justin Timberlake.

The most showbiz moment of your life? 
Sitting in a hotel bar in Manchester with Sir Tom Jones singing Elvis Presley songs to me after an all-night drinking session, while the staff made up the tables for breakfast. That happened in a few different cities while we were doing auditions.


When are you happiest? 
In the studio, writing and performing songs. I love those padded walls. That’s where I’m comfortable.

What makes you sad? 
I’ve started a tradition of going to the Temple Street Children’s Hospital [in Dublin] every Christmas. That makes me really sad, but it’s nice to know you can put a smile on the children’s faces for a little while.

What was the most embarrassing moment of your life? 
We performed at Shea Stadium in New York in 2009, supporting Sir Paul McCartney. I was introducing each band member as they played a solo, and when it came to my turn, I was supposed to play a piano riff on the keyboard but I hit the wrong button and it came out as drums. It sounded rubbish. In front of 50,000 people and a Beatle! That was bad.

What would be the perfect date? 
Can I go anywhere? I’d go to Paris for steak. Then the Observatoire because I love to look at the stars. Romantic and scientific – how can you better that?

Source:  Femail / Edited: DannyODonoghue.Net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Please do not cite or copy our content to use on your own site without credits to, and permission of www.dannyodonoghue.net. We are working hard to get what we have..

The Script

The Script