Classic Moments

9 April 2013

Interview With The Voice Coach Danny O’Donoghue


The Script singer talks to us about what we can expect from The Voice this series, how he keeps fit and healthy on tour, plus his top tips for relaxing

Danny O’Donoghue, 32, is the lead vocalist and songwriter for The Script and is a coach on BBC1’s The Voice. We caught up with the handsome singer and quizzed him about the show, upcoming projects and how he keeps healthy despite a busy schedule.

Are you excited about the second series of The Voice?
Really excited! We had 30,000 people audition this year, and the standard has really gone up now that people have seen the show. It’s an incredible thing to be involved in.

You came across as very passionate on screen last year…
I’m probably the most passionate out of all the coaches. I’m definitely the most invested. That’s just me. Everything I get involved in is the same. The other coaches are great of course. Everyone has their own strong points – will.i.am, everyone thinks he’s the quirky mastermind, but I know him as a good mate. Jessie J – I believe she’s an incredible inspiration to a lot of young people who really want to follow their dreams. And Tom Jones – well, he’s a legend.

Any surprises to come on the show?
Loads! We’ve been fighting a lot more this season over artists, and there have been many more instances
when the four of us have turned for the one artist. We’re a family but like most families you get the best fights.

As for The Script – you guys seem to be on fire at the moment! How does it feel to be doing so well?
Incredible! It’s great that we’re being celebrated for what we’ve always wanted – our music.


You seem very busy. How do you make sure you stay healthy on tour?
I bring my boxing equipment with me. I took up boxing around two years ago as it’s very similar to being on the stage – you have three-and-half-minute rounds – about the same time as a song lasts, then you have a 30-second rest period.

And about an hour before we go on stage, I do a lot of light stretching and warming up – muscles need to be really supple for the type of performances we give. Otherwise I’d stay L-shaped from all that sitting down on planes, trains and automobiles!

It’s hard to eat healthily on tour, but I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the hectic touring schedule if I was eating a lot of fast food.

Finally, how do you relax?
I watch football - my team is Manchester United. I love nothing better than sitting back on the couch on a Sunday when there’s no one else around, in my pjs, watching my team.

Source: Tesco Magazine / Edited: DannyODonoghue.Net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Please do not cite or copy our content to use on your own site without credits to, and permission of www.dannyodonoghue.net. We are working hard to get what we have..

The Script

The Script